Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Monday, June 22, 2009

ANNOUNCEMENT AND LETTER FROM THE HEART

For years now I've seen our morals decline, the Constitution being ignored, the rule of law eroded, the powerful enrich and empower themselves while the working class works harder to stay in place. More and more people are willing to trade the freedom and responsibilities of democracy for a mediocre security. Last year my Mom was in the hospital for a month with a severe infection that finally took her life. During that month, Mom was often confused, thinking sometimes we were back in the 50's or 60's. Sometimes she thought I was actually my Dad, Harry Sr. instead of her son, Harry. She spoke to me about her aspirations and life and God gave me the blessing of knowing her in a way most children don't have the opportunity to.

During that month I had a lot of time to think. We've all heard about the "Greatest Generation" that lived through the Great Depression and WWII, but I never really realized the depth of character and moral strength my Mom had. I also realized that my silence in the face of the monumental challenges in the world today did not speak well of my character. I am not especially fond of public scrutiny or going out of my comfort zone. But that month with my Mom brought me to the realization that my time on this Earth is short and my comfort zone is not at all important. I made up my mind that I wanted to live courageously and try to leave a world behind that carried on the greatness of the Country I grew up in.

Our City is not an island. We are all interlinked today, and we have to deal with all kinds of issues just as we do on the national level. Hickory has formidable challenges. Our economy has been devastated structurally by the globalization of textiles and furniture. Telecom valley is on hold. We have challenges in education, the environment and the resources we have here, and many other things as well. Sadly, our City government has been slow to recognize the transformational times we are in and respond accordingly.

Citizen participation is scant. The politically connected still get the lion's share of the attention and resources. Our dreams and expectations are dimming and we have become like rabbits in a trap - not liking the trap, but scared to move out of it. For too long, many have wanted to ignore the situation and hope it gets better on its own. Some are scared they will get blamed. Many just want the State government to build a new economy for us or maybe Obama will throw us a bone. Where are the bold leaders like some of the ones in our past that took the initiative and built great companies with hard work and determination? Our ancestors and founding fathers would be shaking their heads.

I am announcing that I will be running for Hickory City Council in the upcoming election. I have studied City issues for some time now and believe that my ideas, ethics, willingness to work and learn and my judgment will be an asset to Hickory. My interest is only in the progress of Hickory for all, regardless of wealth, status or party affiliation. I will work to develop our economy, expand participation in City government and decision making, be good stewards of our natural resources and our cultural amenities. Please join me in transforming and revitalizing our great City so generations to come may live, prosper and raise families in a great area.

Thank you,
Harry Hipps

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

vordiaway to go how can we help

Anonymous said...

way to go how can we help

Anonymous said...

For which Ward?

James Thomas Shell said...

Ward 6

Anonymous said...

Good Luck to
Harry.

He'll get stuff done.

How 'bout some billboards.
"A Big Man for a Big Job".
I guess you can tell you've got my vote.
Pat

Anonymous said...

How about you James, you throwing your hat in the ring?