Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Houndvision: Let's take a Drive through Southwest Downtown

We will start out on the Northwest side of Downtown right at Union Square and drive through the Union Square parking area, which is dead at 5pm. I can understand closing at night on Sundays, but it is my opinion that this is a lost opportunity to make thousands of dollars. Small businesses cannot afford to throw away such opportunities, especially when Valley Hills mall is conveniently open a few miles away.

It is the right of these business owners to be closed, but it hurts the entire area. I saw that Josh's was open and the Tap Room was open. Those restaurants would do more business with those stores open on Sunday and those businesses could feed off of those restaurants being open after Church and early in the evening on Sunday.

Does it make sense that these businesses are open when most people are working and closed when most of the people are off of work?



The second video follows the trek back from 10th st pl SW between First Ave and Main Ave SW where one can see the blight in full. One can see the Piedmont Wagon wasting away in the foreground on the Northwest side of the tracks. What we see currently is a concrete canyon of blighted warehouses wasting away. We end up back on 5th st SW. To the left is a little garage that used to be a gas station, to the immediate right is Scott Matthews Law Office and I believe he has upgraded that property, at the 2 o'clock position you will see what was Hair USA and later Details, and in the foreground you will see 1859 Cafe.

I decided to take a right and go to the former parking lot of Ego's and Page One, where we now see graffiti, rubble, and dilapidation. Here we also see the 2nd Harvest Food Bank. 2nd harvest serves an excellent mission, but does it belong in a building so close to the heart of the city and are any of these buildings Economic Generators? If you ask me, we have seen negative momentum and Economic Degeneration created on this side of town!!!



The third video is, in my opinion, a metaphor of what this city has been all about. Everyone talks about appearances, but people need to look under the surface and see what is going on under that facade of green grass. This type of symbolism over substance has led this city to where it is today. Look under the surface people and you'll find out what is really going on. You need to embrace the level of discomfort that these sights bring. That is what will help us get these vital areas back on track. This property is next to 1859 Cafe. 1859 is my Aunt Jane Moore's business, but this property belongs to Alex Lee. I have mentioned this to city officials several times over the years, but it never gets taken care of. My Aunt has had this area cleaned up several times over the years, but indigents keep coming back and piling up refuse again and again and again. Look at the film and tell me what you think.



The Hound doesn't want to tell Property Owners what to do with their property. In years past, when business was thriving in those areas, no one understood the implications of the chemicals that were being used. Now we do understand and it is time to find out just what kinds of chemical contamination are on these sites and are any of these warehouses still storing toxic chemicals. I understand that Brownfield studies will help do some of this, but it isn't going to come into play until the building is on the market. Don't we need to understand the extent of this issue now?

I also want people to see where the arbitrary judgment of the issues comes into play. We hear all of the hoopla about the Buffalo's sinkhole, but what about what is shown in these little short films as far as the blight in Southwest Hickory? When are we going to see a sense of urgency come into play about these dilapidated buildings in the heart of our city? These short videos don't even scrape the tip of the iceberg.

I understand that these are tough economic times. Credit is hard to come by. But, in my opinion, we are not going to turn this city around until we start addressing the issues of blight in Southwest, Southeast, and the Industrial corridors of Hickory. Sorry I haven't perfected my video skills. I will get better, but anyway, I don't want you to take what I am saying for granted. One day, when you have time, please go check this out for yourself.


I thought it might be a good idea to add a map to show the route that was taken. I started out in front of the Embarq building (1) and drove through the Union Square Parking Lot. From there I crossed the tracks and proceeded west traveling down Main Ave until I got to 4th st SW. I took a left until I hit 1st ave SW. I took the right and drove to 9th st SW took a right and then a left back onto Main ave SW. I went to 10th st pl SW (2), before doubling back down Main St. I took a right on 5th st SW and then headed down 1st Ave to the Ego's - 2nd Harvest parking lot (3). From there I doubled back down main to 5th st and pulled across into the Alex Lee parking lot (4).

The driving distance from Union Square to 10th st Pl SW turns out to be .8 miles. Would you agree that this area should encompass what is referred to as Downtown?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a slum....mdi and ifh are thriving....how much tax are they contributing for this area. i am curious. i travel this area daily and am appaled that the city thinks this is acceptable....take the tour folks amd lavish in the luxury of downtown hickory....baltimore looks better....

Anonymous said...

lets go down to sw llhwy 70 hound...ill hold the camera on the property owned by the slum lords.

Julia Rush said...

DOWNTOWN HICKORY! I live here, I work here, I love it! Now that Josh's is open, I think I should have -julia rush- Fine Crafts open on Sundays..at least from 12-3. They are doing an AMAZING amount of business all the time, and their Sunday Brunch is very popular. Table 220, immediately next door to me, will be reopening in another month or so John Duke, owner of Market on Main, is remodeling/redecorating and it will be excellent. So I'll be "sandwiched" between two upscale restaurants which is EXCELLENT for me. I will certainly consider opening on Sundays for awhile to see if it works. Unfortunately, I've tried it in the past and it hasn't worked. Spainhours would probably open on Sundays, also. But I doubt that the other independent business owners would agree to this. Thanks for the drive through "blighted" areas. You are exactly right. So very much could be done here, but it takes creative risk-takers to do something and there aren't a lot of them around who have money in their pockets! I have lots of ideas for those buildings... just don't have the $$$$$$$$. Keep up the good work, Hound.

Julia Rush said...

Boyd George owns MDI/IFH. I'm sure if he were contacted, he would not only clean out the trash but ask them to clean out the underbrush. Then there is complete visibility from the vacant lot to 1859 and it would certainly look nicer.

Julia Rush said...

One more comment! I'll contact the Mayor through Facebook and ask him to be SURE to READ THE HICKORY HOUND. I'll also ask some of our City Council people to do the same. 10+ years ago, the "consultants" who came to Hickory to study Downtown Hickory said that Main Ave. NW and Main Ave. SW were the two most UNDERUSED and possible thoroughfares to lead into downtown Hickory. But with the codition of the buildings right now, I wouldn't WANT that to become a main entrance into Hickory from Hwy. 321.
Let's keep the interest in doing something with these buildings high on the list of priorities. Then the next move is Hwy. 70, from Hwy. 321 to 4th St.. SW... the ENTRANCE INTO OUR CITY... It doesn't look much better and that's what people see first when coming to downtown. Ug. Thanks!

James Thomas Shell said...

Thank You Julia. the people that you mentioned all know about these problems, but a little more pressure, from someone as respected as you, would not hurt at all.

And you are right about Union Square. It is your business. You should do what you want with it. i worked with both John and Josh at Rock Barn and i work with Chuck Spauller's son Jordan at Back Street's. Those guys are going to want at much opportunity to be open to make money as possible. It is in everyone's interest to create a festive Sunday Atmosphere and get those guys some customers. It is going to take a proactive attitude. I know that you have that, but it is going to take others who have your go get it attitude to make this city move.

Thank You for doing your part.

harryhipps said...

I appreciate Julia Rush's thoughts here. I wonder on the thoroughfare issue though if it isn't a chicken and egg situation. While it would highlight some unsightly properties in the short run, I think that in the long haul the increased traffic counts would spur businesses wanting to capitalize on that. In a period of years that could bring good things to the downtown area and make sense from a traffic perspective as well. Something will have to be the catalyst and, in my opinion, the road would have to come first. As the saying goes Rome wasn't built in a day and revitalizing Hickory will be a long haul proposition.

Anonymous said...

i am worried about the number of reelect jill patton signs in nw hickory around 6th st and 4th st nw.....she must have alot of reelection funds to be able to post these signs already....when are we going to hear from harry about his campaign