Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Understanding and Mutual Respect

This is purely a commentary that flows off of something a collaborator said yesterday. This person talked about his frustration that certain interests in Catawba County have a mutual concern about the bad economy in the area, but there isn't mutual respect. Until you get mutual respect, he is really worried about whether we can change the economic condition in this county. He would not elaborate on the who's who that created this thought and from the way he addressed this issue one could surmise that this was more than a one time incident. This was a pattern.

We have all seen this happen in this area. If it didn't have serious ramifications on our lives, it would be hilarious, but we have people in this community who are in positions of power who seem to thrive on ego trips and they are holding us back.

I am studying a concept called "Master Capacity Building" and I know that it is going to be a lot of hard work for me to succeed in changing who I am and how I accomplish goals and work with others to accomplish goals. But one thing I can tell you is that I am not an ego tripper. I want to work with others. I love working with others, like myself, who want to see everyone succeed and they understand that if we make it easier for middle class people to succeed, then our community will thrive.

I am not a patient person. I don't like to watch the years go by and see things not getting done. It is neither good for me personally nor the vast majority of people in this community. It makes me sick to see instances where Big Fish want to control the small pond and don't want to see the pond grow. They love the status quo.

Many times we have seen things happen, and fall into place, where progress is sabotaged by personal interests. I have spoken of this before and I understand this is the food chain of money and power, but in the times we are living in, we cannot afford to destroy the lives of many of our citizens to protect small pockets of interests in this community.

The things that I deal with are real. A few years ago, I bought into the political games and marched in lockstep with people who talked a good game about the issues I believed in, but in the end these people didn't deliver on promises even when they had it in their power to do so. People like this don't care about us as individuals. They are there to represent their own personal interests and the special interests who own them.

My mother almost died last week and she is still very sick in the hospital. She had a perforated ulcer and was rushed into surgery, which she was in for over 4 hours. This is a story that personally haunts me, because I have seen her struggle up close.

My mother worked a lot of hours at a job that paid her relatively little money for all of the work she was doing. She was working 60 hours a week at a time when she was on the verge of eligibility to retire, but could not afford to. Piles of work kept being added to her tasks, in a truly hostile work environment, where she was given no raises for this additional responsibility. She was stressed out and finally decided that she had to leave. Years of loyal work for this company netted her zero, zip, nada for her service after she left. She felt these people had run over her and the truth of the matter is that they had. My mother has had a hard time finding a job because of her age and she has so much experience in management positions that it is insane that no one will give her an opportunity.

The other week I saw her and she was worried because this company had messed up her COBRA payment. My mother was personally paying an exorbitant amount of money out of her own pocket by taking the check to the former employer and they were supposed to in turn forward money to the insurance company. She was informed by the insurance company that they had not received the payment, even though the check had been cashed. She called her former employer and they promised that they had paid the money, but in the end it turned out that they had not. Supposedly it was finally straightened out due to my mother's persistence and due diligence. Wouldn't that stress you out.

This is how idiots in the government solve big issues. They push the problem down the road and let someone else deal with it. They brag about the creation of COBRA, which no one can afford, especially after they lose their job. My neighbor was laid off and he couldn't afford that outrageous COBRA payment. The idiots in the government will talk about portability like they have done you a favor, because they are clueless.

These are typical cases of suffering happening in this community and many of the people in the most prominent positions of power don't care, because it's just a game to them. People that have jobs don't really understand how bad the economy is, but many of them are a couple of steps away from where my mother and my neighbor are.

One of my collaborators made a spot on statement the other day. Roadblocks (Hindrances) to progress come from Control, Power, Egos and Taking things personally. What people better grab a clue about is that what comes around goes around. One day you may have it tough and Karma will be there to do to you as you have done to others (or allowed to happen to others). I know that I am not going to forget what I have seen over the last several years and I know many others that won't forget either.

We need to see cooperation and collaboration in these times. Petty interests are inconsequential. Sadly, people want you to respect them for what they already think. What if what they think is obsolete?

We need leaders who don't think they know everything and are willing to listen and learn. We need leaders who have empathy for the people they serve. We need to see leaders lead by example. We need to see interests work together and set aside their ego for another day. Your legacy will not be credited while you are alive. It will be credited by the lasting things you do and the relationships you forge in good times and bad that stand the test of time.

4 comments:

Mike W. said...

I am also worried about the older workers that now find themselves unemployed. My mother just lost her job. She has been a blue collar worker for the last 20 years. She's now approaching her golden years, has cerebral palsy, and few other employable skills. Over time she had earned a respectable salary at her previous employer, but now she essentially has to start over. I fear that there isn't a place in the job market for people like my mother.

Even in the white collar world, employers are more inclined to invest in young graduates with the latest education instead of the grey-haired (and often expensive) veteran. I don't know what the solution is here.

While you attribute this debacle to big government, my mind goes another direction. We have a serious problem with the deterioration of ethics in business. The days in which a person spent 30 years working for the same company, received a respectable pension and other benefits is essentially gone. Employees are now seen as expenses, not partners in business.

Now I'm not one of those bleeding hearts that thinks all corporations are evil. I love corporations--corporations have paid me a lot of money over the years. But, I do think ethics in business has been thrown aside in favor of profitability, and the middle class has suffered because of it.

James Thomas Shell said...

Mike,

I appreciate what you are saying and your comments are right on. I think you have misunderstood my posting. This isn't about Big Government. This is about leadership here in Hickory, Catawba County, and the surrounding area. This is about Government and Business Leaders in our area.

And you are exactly right. They have lost their ethical compass. I know they don't want to hear that and this will anger many of them, but I have seen it. My mother has been thrown under the bus by a company that wears "Christian values" on their sleeve and what I have seen is anything but Christian.

We seem to have leaders that think you are supposed to throw a parade for them every time they do something. It seems like if the leadership interests in this community are more interested in acknowledgment than moving a process along. How many times has an important process gone to pot because someone felt they were being slighted in the credit they feel they deserve.

As part of the group I participate in, we have fostered the idea of leadership from the middle. It isn't about who gets credit. It's about moving the process forward. It's about achieving goals. And I feel fortunate to participate with people who are in it together, than to sit in room with a bunch of competing big cheesers. Who do you think will accomplish more in the end?

harryhipps said...

Mike, I agree that it is ethics in business, but there is another component as well - and that is the lack of community. Businesses look at people as economic units to be employed or disposed of as needed. As a society we are moving to an all powerful government to provide what other elements of the community used to. If your neighbor or friend has a problem, the government is supposed to take care of them.
Years ago civic clubs used to collect dues and if a member had a calamity, such as his house burning down, the club would buy materials and rebuild it with him. Churches used to feed lots of people before food stamps. Families used to be tight and support each other. Grocers would give away produce and bread at the end of the day to people who needed it or even extend credit in the days before credit cards.
I know of several attorneys that got their education paid for by the owner of a furniture or textile company and got their first jobs working for those companies. The relationships were deep and lasting.
When I was in elementary school a poor family moved to the neighborhood. They had shabby clothes and lice. The Health Dept. took care of the lice and the school had a clothes closet with clothing donated from parents whose kids had outgrown them. Then the teacher called a local hosiery mill owner and got the father a job. A local church helped with some food until Pop's paychecks started coming in.
It wasn't perfect and there are always going to be problems, but we cared about our neighbors and a person was more than an economic "unit". Now, money is king, the government calls almost ALL the shots, and we don't even know many of the "neighbors" on our street. We have taken a wrong turn for well intentioned reasons and I hope what we are seeing now is a fundamental reassessment of how we organize and relate to each other.

Anonymous said...

Are you doing anything about the upcoming local elections?