Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hickory Ward Voting Referendum Forum - School of Government - August 20, 2012



This was a meeting held at Stanford Park Recreation Center in Highland in which the North Carolina School of Government and League of Municipalities addresses issues pertaining to Hickory, North Carolina's upcoming Ward Referendum issue to be held on September 18, 2012 with early voting coming up on August 30, 2012.

I felt this was an excellent meeting with a full room. They had to bring in extra chairs. And I felt the audience was very respectful of the speakers and others in cattendance. The City should be congratulated for bringing in these folks to speak, because the information was very good.

Hickory Daily Record report by Larry Clark -  Hickory government is 'up to the people'


The Hound: I have disabled the unmoderated comments section, because many of the comments did not further dialogue. If I ask you question that you refuse to answer after I answer your questions ad nauseum, then why promote polluting the site with subterfuge.

Many people have suggested that I do this from the beginning, because they were tired of the trolling by people who just desire to shoot the messenger. You can still leave comments, but they will be moderated. I don't care if they are negative, and I will include comments of those who disagree if they are point-counterpoint arguments and further dialogue, but I felt we were headed down a path where it was going to get very personal and I am not happy about doing this.

Some people better remember that long after this Referendum has been decided, we are going to still have to live in this community. If it is going to be top this/top that ruthlessness, without considering the long term implications, then you are just a plain out idiot. There really is no other way to put it. Those with a few brain cells left. Think about the Eco-System you live in.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is no longer an open blog so how do we trust you? If you are filtering each comment and posting only what you want people to see-how is that helpful to dialogue? Perhaps some of the negative comments should be explored? And you are back to name calling. I don't expect you to post this.

James Thomas Shell said...

You are right this is no longer an open blog. That was ruined by a few trolls, who didn't want to further dialogue and discussion or answer simple questions that were asked of them, but rather chose to try and destroy this blog. Wish that weren't the case, but this will be another step in the evolutionary process of this blog. That is the way many of the sites have had to head, because of the lack of mutual respect towards critical thought processes.

What I am hoping is that one of you will start a blog. Maybe this will foster that. Then you can support your side and I can support mine. Many people act like this is a cakewalk and I don't do research or seek info. Go ask the people that know.

The great thing about the internet is that you have a vast array of choices. If you don't find value in the Hound, then you can save yourself some time and just go read a local newspaper, listen or watch WHKY, or see what you get out of local Charlotte news. I'll continue to do the best I can with the limited time and resources I have. And now instead of having to respond to some of these sophomoric rants about how I'm out to get everybody, I'm tearing down Hickory, or about how stupid I am, maybe I can use some of that time towards more fruitful endeavors.

What you state here is civil. If you want to write a supportive, substantive article about how great everything is around here, then feel free and send it anonymously if you like and you might be surprised when I post it here.

I disagree that I am name calling with the idiocy comment. It is my point of contention that when you go around doing some of the things happening behind the scenes and not remembering that after this Referendum vote that life goes on, and what will be the implications when you harass people in personal settings, then you burn bridges and I'm not going to allow this blog to be taken down that path.

Harry McComb said...

Well said, Mr. Shell. I look forward to the Hound's take and reporting on local affairs. The HDR only prints a very few hot button issues and the council meetings are not shown on the local government channel. The Hickory Hound, in effect, is the only decent source of information for these meetings.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you report on what is good instead of all the negative? That might tend to lend you more as a balanced blogger. I saw in the HDR an article of young people starting businesses with little or no support. They put their all into making a business go and are doing well. That is what you have encouraged and advocated. Why not celebrate it? Why don't you start a business? They can and have done. They are the doers and we all need to have more like them and encourage them. That is what made Hickory great and will again. Do something positive for your community!

James Thomas Shell said...

I talk about positives all of the time. There are many people who have a mental fixation on anything negative I write.

I have been told by Republicans. I agree with a lot of what you write, but not everything.

I have been told by Democrats. I agree with a lot of what you write, but not everything.

The only people that seem to hate everything I write are the Hickory Inc. people and their proxies. I think that says a lot more about them than myself, but I do listen to them.

I will encourage you to go listen to the debate that occurred today at the luncheon of the League of Republican Women and then get back to me on who is bullying and being negative. Go listen to the Ward Referendum Forum that took place last night and when it gets near the end look to see who was trying to wrap it up.

I would encourage people to listen to everyone and think before you drink the kool-aid.