Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Monday, September 2, 2013

10 Questions with Anetia Wright - Candidate Ward 4 2013 Hickory City Council Election

 
Anetia Wright is a Candidate in the upcoming 4th Ward City Council race. First she will face an October 8th primary against incumbent Hank Guess and challenger Crystal Killian. If she succeeds in being one of the top two vote getters, then she will move on to the November 5th at large election. The questions posed to her are available for all candidates to answer. I have agreed to post them without critique and there will be no critical comments allowed in this article. There will be a "Candidates" Hickory Municipal Elections tab to the Right of this article. It will show anything related top these candidates as we move forward in this process.

1) Can you give us some background and a history of yourself? (Where were you born? What is your educational background? Why did you come to or stay in Hickory? Tell us about your professional accomplishments.)
Born in Hickory N.C., attended Hickory Public Schools, graduated from Hickory High and Lenoir Rhyne University. U.S. Army Veteran.

2) Tell us about the accomplishments you are proudest of achieving in your life? Something besides having a family or raising children. We all recognize that those are common goals that we all aspire to. What’s the most exciting thing you saw/did/experienced/were a part of in your personal life? In your professional life?
I am proud to be the first college graduate in my family and becoming a Minister. The most exciting times in my life was time served in the U.S. Army.

3) If I were to ask people that know you to describe you what would they say?  
 I think people would describe me as one who strives to improve myself and my surroundings .

4) How much bearing do the opinions of the people around you have on your decisions?
 I value the opinions of the people around me but ultimately I must make a decision that is in the best of interest of all involved.

5) Can you tell us of a professional mistake that you have made that may have had an impact on who you are today? Does it still bother you? Can you share with us how you came to grips with that error?
I wish I had become a career soldier as I believe I could have furthered and completed my education and professional life. It still bothers me to think that I could be retired now and still able to serve in many areas, especially my community. I came to grips with that error by accepting it, moving on, and making the best of my life which has been very rewarding.

6) If you were given enough money to tackle one project (think nearly unlimited) that you felt was important to the Hickory Area, what would that issue be?
If money were no object, I would find sustainable jobs for the working class that they may be able to support themselves and their families which will strengthen our community and city.

7 ) Let’s say there is no money available for the foreseeable future. What one project (priority) would you push as part of your agenda that can be done with little or no money?
I would push to strengthen our city through continued education of city government .

8) What is your overall philosophy of the development of this area? Where would you like to see us in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? 
Growing up in the City of Hickory surrounded by giants like Broyhill, Thomasville, Shuford Mills, Hickory Manufacturing and "of course the list goes on and on" I personally had a sense of security and pride in this city. People of all walks of life were able to rise up each day and go to work with that same sense of security and pride. I have the audacity to believe that with the right opportunities and decisions we will become a strong successful city again.

9) If you could define your Personal Legacy what would you like it to be? What would you like to be remembered for? 
I would like to be remembered as one who always honored the past, lived to the fullest in the present, and maintained hope for the future.

10) How do you define Leadership?
I define leadership as willingness to get the job done to the best of ones ability. Leadership requires committment and compassion toward the goal and toward the people helping to obtain that goal.

No comments: