Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

10 Questions with Terry Revels - Candidate 2013 Hickory City Mayoral Election

Today marks the 5th Anniversary of the Hickory Hound. Thank You for coming to this news source for information and most of all thank you for being interested enough to come here to receive a perspective that is different from what is acceptable to many of the people who are supposedly the leaders in our community. 

We have problems, but we all have to be the solution. The Motto of our great State, the Old North State, is Esse Quam Videri - "To Be rather than to Seem". And yet, we are told in our community that it is all about the message we project. Those people have it backwards folks. Don't talk about it. Be about it. It's all about reality. In 2nd Corinthians Chapter 11, the apostle Paul talks about boasting of ones sufferings. There is nothing wrong with talking about the Reality in this community. From 2nd Corinthians Chapter 11, "30 If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. 31 The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, who is to be praised forever, knows that I am not lying."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terry Revels is a Candidate in the upcoming Hickory City Mayoral race. He will first face an October 8th primary against incumbent Mayor Rudy Wright and fellow challengers Dr. Joseph Inglefield, Ernie Masche, Candice Harold, and Jeff Brittain. If he succeeds in being one of the top two vote getters, then he will move on to the November 5th at large election. The questions posed here are available for all candidates to answer. I have agreed to post them without critique and there will be no critical comments allowed in this article. There will be a "Candidates" Hickory Municipal Elections tab to the Right of this article. It will show anything related to these candidates as we move forward in this process. Anyone who wants to participate is free to do so. Please feel free to contact me at hickoryhound@gmail.com

1) Can you give us some background and a history of yourself? (Where were you born? What is your educational background? Why did you come to or stay in Hickory? Tell us about your professional accomplishments.)

I was born in Charlotte, NC and was raised in Gaston County. Both my parents were hard working folks and I think wonderful to me. I went to school in Ranlo, NC and High School in Lowell, NC. After High School, I went to Central Piedmont Community College, and received an Associate Degree in Police Science and Criminology. Later in my life, I went back to college and received my Bachelor of Science Degree in Liberal Science from the University of The State of New York. I came to Hickory in 1990 (23 years ago) to start my business, which was ACT Communications, which I later sold. I had several other businesses at the same time that I later sold. Seems like every time I start a business and get it off the ground, someone wanted to buy it. I have several accomplishments. The first of course, is my family. I met my wife in High School and I guess you can say the rest is history. We also have two grown sons. However, professional accomplishments are: Joining the Navy and entering into the Air Traffic Control field. This is a major achievement in my life. The requirements to graduate from ATC school are very high both from the Navy's school and from the FAA's school. So I am very proud of this achievement. Next was when I was hired to manage a local bakery's transportation department. And last was when I went back to school and became a CNA II (Certified Nursing Assistant). I have worked several places as a CNA, but I really enjoyed working at Frye Regional Medical Center.

2) Tell us about the accomplishments you are proudest of achieving in your life? Something besides having a family or raising children. We all recognize that those are common goals that we all aspire to. What’s the most exciting thing you saw/did/experienced/were a part of in your personal life? In your professional life?

My Navy Career, I think to me, was my proudest accomplishment. I love the Navy and Air Traffic Control. I enjoyed working in the Radar room. It was during this period, one night at Naval Air Station Meridian, MS that a Navy fighter aircraft on final was at low fuel and during a thunderstorm was trying to land and I, as a qualified Ground Approach Controller, was able to help guide him to a safe landing. I received a heart felt thank you from that pilot and a lot of attaboys from my friends. It was a proud moment. And also in my Professional life, I think working with people that have had hip and knee surgery has to be right up there. I love to watch their face when they can walk the first time without the pain. It is a moment that God gave me and it is a wonder to see.

3) If I were to ask people that know you to describe you what would they say?

I would have to say, if you ask people that know me they would say "Oh Mr. Revels, He is Honest and when he tells you something, you can take it to the bank". Dependable, and he is full of Integrity.

4) How much bearing do the opinions of the people around you have on your decisions?

Opinions, Opinions. Everybody has one. I try not to get too involved with them. If the opinion is about me, I hope it is good, but I can go on if it is not. However, I do listen to everyone and I weigh what is said carefully. But, in the end if I were Mayor, I would make my decision based on the needs of the people and what is then the best we can do.

5) Can you tell us of a professional mistake that you have made that may have had an impact on who you are today? Does it still bother you? Can you share with us how you came to grips with that error?

The mistake I regret most was a traffic accident where several people were injured. I was in the Police Department on my way to investigate an accident with injuries when I had an accident myself. Several people were injured. Without going too deep into this, I would just like to say that I regret this accident and I think about it almost daily. I could have killed someone, but the lord was on my side and there were just injuries, but I have become very cautious about things. I hope as your Mayor, I can only do what is right, then move on.

6) If you were given enough money to tackle one project (think nearly unlimited) that you felt was important to the Hickory Area, what would that issue be?

JOBS,JOBS, JOBS... if I could make it happen no one would be on welfare and all people would be healthy and work at a job with a great salary. Because JOBS with a living wage make a person feel great, because they can support their family and if they were single they would feel they have a future and something to look forward to.

7) Let’s say there is no money available for the foreseeable future. What one project (priority) would you push as part of your agenda that can be done with little or no money?

The one project that can be done with no money is to organize communities into support groups for each other. Get out and meet your neighbors. This would work for many project. Community protecting each other, or community dancing, or just sitting and talking about things in general. Also we could have representatives to come together and work for what is in the best interest of each neighborhood.

8) What is your overall philosophy of the development of this area? Where would you like to see us in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

Looking down the road over the next 5, 10, 20 years is difficult to see. At this moment, I see a stagnant Hickory with the economy in decline. I doubt that it can be turned around quickly. I think it will be a slow come back and at best I see a less than 5 percent growth. So If I would look at the next 10 to 20 years, I believe things will improve, but a hard road is ahead. I have always said that I believe NAFTA has the responsibility for this decline, but the current administration in this city did nothing to slow the loss. I will do more to see this great city gets as much help from the Mayor's office as I can.

9) If you could define your Personal Legacy what would you like it to be? What would you like to be remembered for?

I don't care much for a legacy, but I want the people to remember that I was the Mayor they could reach out and talk to and I was the Mayor that started new and innovating things in Hickory.

10) How do you define Leadership?

Leadership can be described as bringing people together to accomplish a common task. And that is what I will do. So my fellow citizens of our wonderful city, let's get on with the job at hand and get it done. I will lead, and with your help, lets find the jobs and fix the budgets of excessive spending and get more for our money. Try to fix, or tear down, old buildings. Make our parks beautiful and most of all bring jobs here. Vote for me on October the 8th.

No comments: