Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Viewing the last flight of Endeavor - The Space Shuttle Program

I almost forgot about this. I am a product of the Space Shuttle Generation. My Grandfather bought me the model of the Space Shuttle when I was 12 years old and it always piqued my interest. . I always wanted to be a astronaut when I was little, because it was one of my first memories watching man walk on the moon. When the teacher in kindergarten asked what I wanted to be growing up, I told her an astronaut. My birthday is July 15, 1966 and the launch date of Apollo 11 was the day after my 3rd birthday. I remember the missions of the men walking on the moon almost vividly.  Watching these pioneers/explorers/scientists participate in these mentions is something that I always felt was one of humanity's upper most interests. Space Exploration is the modern day concept of what Christopher Columbus and Ferdinand Magellan set out to accomplish. To expand man's unlimited horizons. To me this is God's work.

The Space Shuttle fleet is winding down its series of missions. For over 10 years I have been watching the International Space Station and other Satellites pass overhead. I have shown some of my closest friends these flights and in this article I will expose to you how I view these earth orbiting object flying hundreds of miles over our head.

I do this by visiting the site Heavens Above. Once you visit you can sign up and put in your locations coordinates and from there you will be able to see times and aerial directions that these objects fly overhead. It even has a link to show you planetary and star coordinates. There is nothing better than to view all of this with someone you care about. So surprise someone you care about and take them out and show them this.

One of the best sightings I remember was about 4 years ago when the Shuttle had undocked from the ISS
earlier in the day and it was a clear night and it looked like they were chasing one another in the sky. Maybe this is corny to some, but these kinds of things are what I find important. To me, they show our humanity and connect us to the earth. To see something like this does not happen every day. It is like those Total Lunar eclipses or when a great sighting of a comet passes by. These are events that don't happen every day. So figure out North, South, East, and West where you live, pray for good weather, and get outside and enjoy life.

If you get up early in the morning there will be several great sightings of the Space Shuttle Endeavor / International Space Station this week:

No comments: