Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Letter of Apology to City Council about Jeanette Wester's Truck

I would like to apologize about the issue of Jeanette Wester's truck. It has been brought to my attention that the city has had issues with this lady in the past and she was unlikely to cooperate. Those facts were not brought forward at the City Council meeting of 11/21/2008.

I am not someone that is looking to confront the council on every issue. I just believe that nuisance laws are conveniently arbitrary and not administered equally to all citizens. I only believe in standing up for the rights of all of the citizens of this community, especially the vulnerable. I am a conservative person that believes in small government -- a government of, by, and for the citizens.

Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I am not perfect, but I try to live by this rule. That is what I was getting at when the facts were presented to me on 11/21/2008. Whether the council had the facts about Ms. Wester's issues, I do not know. There should have been witnesses from the Highland Neighborhood Association present at the time of this hearing to make their case. I thought that Sgt. Baer made an excellent case, as to the facts, that something needed to be done; but I had the feeling that there were aspects missing to this hearing. Now I feel that I have those facts. Though I had to find them through alternative sources.

I will present this apology on my blog, so that people will be informed that there were grounds to believe that Ms Wester was not going to be cooperative in abating the nuisance.

Sincere Apology,
James Thomas (Thom) Shell

2 comments:

ant. a. said...

Love your candidness James.

The media does not give us local news, even the HDR neglects the pertinent governmental news, and since we can only ascertain situations based on the information we have at hand, your blog and others' are so important.

James Thomas Shell said...

Thank You ant,

Harry and I are just regular guys and we just want this town (and area) to be what everyone envisions its potential to be.

I can't stand hearing people talk about "I can't do anything about that."

People can at least speak up about areas of concern. We are given that right and I feel that it is a responsibility to do so. If we don't then we just may lose the right to do so.

I hope that more people will begin giving their opinion on this forum. As long as what they say isn't explicitly vulgar or slanderous, then I can promise you that it will not be deleted.

I appreciate your contributions, value your opinions, and hope that you will remain a part of this forum as we move into the future.