Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Innovative Idea about the Future Leadership of our City

HickoryHumans.com, a local website about local happenings in our area, had a lot of coverage about this year's congressional race between Patrick McHenry and Daniel Johnson. It was excellent coverage that was very objective and didn't demonize either candidate. I learned about HickoryHumans when they endorsed the Hound, because of our coverage of local government meetings.

Perusing their website last night I came upon this article (http://hickoryhumans.com/?p=61). They suggest the possibility of Daniel Johnson being an option as Mayor of Hickory. I have to say, that I think this is a novel idea and after careful consideration I completely understand the logic. Daniel Johnson meets many of the criteria that this city needs.

I'm sure that the ones of you that have read much of this website will realize that I am thoroughly frustrated by our city's lack of direction. The proof is in the pudding, since 2001 our city's economy in general has been in a malaise. We used to have a business environment that was ahead of the curve and had better than average employment numbers. Now we have leadership that constantly plays the blame game with no apparent strategy for success.

I totally agree with what the article says about citizen involvement. That is one of the major objectives of the Hickory Hound. That encompasses alot more than talking a good game, schmoozing with the established media, and an overindulgence in building a foundation of PR tools. It means building one-on-one relations with the citizenry and having them know that you are taking an interest in the entire community's general well-being.

Why are the squeaky wheels always getting the grease. It hasn't been done for the "greater good" of Hickory as a whole. It wreaks of the buddy system. I think that is what has caused the ambivalence in our city that has led to the lack of participation in civic endeavors. Because the average Joe isn't an insider, so their opinion isn't going to be taken into consideration by the "Powers That Be." I hang out with average Joes and that is truly how the majority of them feel.

I think we do have some good leaders in this community. Brad Lail has been an excellent leader in this community. He has been a friend of mine for nearly 30 years. I can tell you that he always goes out of his way to represent all of the people. He definitely doesn't do this because he has to. He does this because he is a leader. He was the Class President at Newton-Conover in 1984 and he has always represented all of his constituents. I agree with him 80%+ of the time. When I don't, I respect what he has to say, because I know that there is a logical thought process behind it.

Bruce Meisner has had an excellent reputation as Councilman for years. He knows the ins and outs of that bench and he has always touted a pro-growth agenda. I have never had a personal conversation with him, but he seems to have a very congenial personality and he is highly regarded by many in Hickory's business community. I have heard alot of people say that he would make a good Mayor.

John Watts was a very good community leader. The man has vision. He was railroaded out of his City Council position, because he had common sense. He was said to be someone that didn't listen to the people's will. I have read what he said during the Lowe's Home Improvemnt debacle. Everything he said during that time has come to fruition and everything the "No Lowe's Near Schools" crowd said can now be construed as foolhardy. I have spoken with the man. Even with the hateful overtones of rhetoric that were heaped upon him four years ago, he still loves this city and wants it to succeed.

I hope that Daniel Johnson will stick around Hickory and become involved in our local affairs. The man definitely showed the moxie of a go-getter during this past campaign. I talked with his brother Will for 2 hours on election day. I'm a Republican, but listening to Will speak gave me a true understanding of what a Conservative Democrat is all about. I haven't had a chance to speak with Daniel, but I hope that I will soon have that opportunity. I think Daniel defintely has alot to offer our city.

I truly mean none of this as a slight to Mayor Wright. He is the leader of our city. The Hound is here to build up this city, not tear it down. We aren't just out here lobbing bombs. The Objectives of the Hound are truly that -- nothing more, nothing less. The Mayor will defintely have his opportunity to promote (and/or defend) his record and agenda. And he will have that opportunity from his Bully Pulpit. He is the Champ and whomever the challenger is; they are going to have to give the public a compelling argument to unseat him.

If there are any other names of individuals that you think might make a good leader, then by all means throw them into the arena. They may choose to run or not, but it is now 11 months until our next Mayoral race. With all that is going on in the world, it is going to be imperative that we make a good choice. So let us know what you think.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Shell, I agree with some things you say about our current leaders. Bruce Meisner is a personable man but he would be more of the same ol same ol. He has had more than one chance to do the right thing for Hickory, but he voted witht the good ole boys and girls. When you want change, you clean house!
John Watts is a very dislikable man. His work staff can't stand him and he has "little man" syndrome. The way he has handled himself in my professional circles is disgusting and pitiful He claims to be a Christian but he treats people terribly. He should be ashamed but he isn't. As long as John gets his way, then he is happy and personable. When he does not get his way then he is a big baby that pouts and whines.
Brad Lail, seems to be on the same page as Z. Hoyle. That is good so far.
Sally Fox and Jill Patton (mini me) just need to resign or at least be voted out. They are a disgrace to the city. They should just join a garden club or tree huggers group.
Rudy Wright is a complete failure at mayor.
Chief Tom Adkins is a joke and he will do whatever he is told to do by council or Floyd Lucas. Yes Lucas still runs the Police Department. He is their almost daily and he tells Adkins exactly what to do.
We need to clean house and get progressive and forward thinking leaders who are actually qualified to do their jobs.

James Thomas Shell said...

Thank You for the input. I like to hear from all sides. That way we all can make informed decisions in the future.

Please don't be afraid to contribute. I wish we would get more input and I am thankful the info this blog has received. I truly feel like I gain 3 times more knowledge from these types of interactions, than I do from having to find things out on my own.

I do care about the opinions of others and I like to know where they are coming from. I'm not going to ever give up on making this a viable site. I know that it will take time, but our local media structure is too entangled with the current Power Structure Downtown and we need some honest to goodness in-depth reporting.

It may be boring, but I will always try to back up what I say with references and numbers. Even if a source decides to remain anonymous, I will try to find a way to back up the information with facts and figures.

Thank You to "city worker" and everyone that participates in this forum.

Anonymous said...

We should not jump on the band wagon to give Daniel Johnson anything. He has not proven that he is interested in the Christians of this community.
It totally shocks me how so many "so called Christians" voted for Mr. Johnson and Barack Obama.
They both support abortion and gay marriage.
How will anyone face God on judgement day and defend voting for men or women who support the murder of little babies. I sadly believe that many people are in for a rude awakening come judgement day.
As a Christian, I can not and will not vote for a person for any office if they support abortion.
There is an option to abortion. It is called adoption.
I usually agree with you Mr. Shell on most of your views but not this one! I can't speak for Jesus but based on the Holy Bible, I believe that Jesus disagrees with you as well.
Mr Shell, you state that you are a Christian. How can you support Daniel Johnson?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Serpico. Daniel Johnson supports abortion and gay marriage. Now, I try and love all people as Jesus tells us us to do.
However, I do not support or condone their sins.
Johnson is wishy washy and he can and will play the political game as well as anyone.
First he is an Assistant District Attorney who fights to put away the bad guys.
Then some local defense and civil lawsuit attorneys approach him and ask Johnson to become a defense/civil attorney and he changes sides so quick that my head is still spinning.
Why did Johnson change from defending the citizens to defending criminals and suing the pants off of citizens? To get elected to Congress of course.
I just don't trust people who sell out their values and integrity.
Johnson will flip flop again if it gets him somewhere he wants to be.
I say send this man packing. We don't need another local yokel trying to run this city. We already have enough idiots like Sally Fox, Jill Patton, and Rudy Wright.
Nope, we don't need Johnson here in politics. Send him back to Winston Salem or where
ever it was he came from last.

James Thomas Shell said...

Serpico & Anonymous.

I have never heard Mr. Johnson say that he supports Gay Marriage or Abortion. That may be splitting hairs, because it is part of his party's platform, but nowhere have I read that he devoutly supported those issues.

Second, I am not pro-choice and I do not believe in Gay Marriage. Gay Marriage is a money grab and Abortion is about convenience. I will say that it makes my skin crawl to discuss these issues, because they are non-starters when it comes to matters of civics. I will tell people where I stand on these issues. but I'm not going to get into a heated debate, because I know that if that is an opposition argument, then it will go nowhere and we will never make progress as a society.

The best thing to do on those issues is to educate. Neither side will ever be able to enforce their will on the other, when it comes to an issue of humanity. You are right in the fact that God will decide.

I will also tell you that I am sick of the current Republican Party. You want to talk about wishy-washy, look at the GOP. They were in complete power and never did what they said they were going to do. All talk, no walk.

Look at the current deficits of our nation. How are they any different than what the Democrats would do? Look at the bailouts, all of this could have been stopped by a conservative party. We obviously don't have one.

Frankly, what Sally, Rudy, and Jill do to control social issues is no different than what I have read from y'all in the last 2 posts. Y'all, just view yourselves as being on the other side of the issues, although, I bet that if you look into it that I bet y'all are on the same side on certain issues.

Local issues are about local issues. I want everyone at the table. I want to talk to everyone and am not trying to demonize anyone. I just don't believe that it is constructive, as a matter of fact, I think it is destructive.