Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

THANKS TO ALL

I want to thank Thom for his help and his friendship in the election. While I am disappointed that I lost, it was indeed a postive experience. I was able to put some ideas on the table, change some minds, meet numerous great people, and hopefully the campaign made some difference. There are too many people to thank here, but it's been a pleasure to have lived through it.

This city has a tough road ahead, and if there is one great negative about the election it is that few came out to vote, and fewer of them took the time to really do the work of citizenship in a democracy. We, as a people, have to learn that elections are about governance, not just a horse race, personality contest, or any personal animosity that may exist. It's a shame that people only turn out (as in the Burke Co School Board race), when there is a fight. We need to adopt a mature attitude towards vision and policies and not just let adrenaline determine if we are going to vote or not.

Government is the vehicle for doing the people's business. Whether we like it or not our money is being used to provide for needs and regulate resources and people. The decisions we made in years past have put us where we are now. And the future is constantly being shaped. I wish the Mayor and Council the best and pray that they will diligently work to improve our lot as Hickoryites.

Again thanks to all . Harry Hipps

7 comments:

James Thomas Shell said...

Hickory's economic future - You better start training now. maybe they will teach a course in Cash Register management at UNC-Hickory:

Would ya like cheese with that?
How bout a supersize coke?

That'll be $4.95 sir.
Thank You. Please Drive around.

May I help you.

Not that there is anything wrong with this job -- for an 18 year old.

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up to Harry's post. Grace in defeat, positive outlook. I think that your opinions are valued & I hope that you will continue to participate in local government. Even if you didn't win the election, you can still have a positive impact.

Thumbs down to Shell's comment. Pure negativity. If Hickory is such a hellhole, why are you still here?

Tim Peeler said...

You're a class act, Harry.

James Thomas Shell said...

I apologize for displaying my true feelings here, but these are my feelings. It is my hope that things will improve, but it seems like hardly anyone cares.

I do not say that because Harry lost or because of any of the people involved in this election. What is so disheartening is to see the Economic and Cultural state that we are in and to look to see that so few people even cared to vote.

I know that personally I was responsible for dozens of people voting and hundreds of people learning about the issues we face. And only about 2,300 people voted out of over 26,000 registered voters in the city of Hickory.

What does that say?

James Thomas Shell said...

And Thank You harry for taking a stand on the issues. We may have failed to engage the public, but at least we tried and you were willing to spend your time and money trying to persuade people.

You are a beacon of hope. I hope you will stay the course and continue the good fight.

Anonymous said...

Regardless of who they voted for, I am truly glad that your blog has lit a fire under some people & gotten them to the polls. The freedom to cast a ballot is such a great freedom in this country, and yet so few actually care enough to USE that freedom. In so many other countries, people don't have the privilege to vote; I wish more people in America (not just Hickory...ALL of America! EVERYONE needs to get out & vote on EVERY election day!) would exercise that privilege.

You shouldn't apologize for your true feelings if they are in fact your true feelings. But please realize that many people get frustrated reading your blog when all they read is negativity. You don't have to candy-coat everything, but it's really disheartening when everything is doom-and-gloom. To steal a page from the Obama playbook, if you want CHANGE, cast it in the light of HOPE--be POSITIVE and upbeat. Don't use every waking minute to talk sh*t about those who disagree with you. This is your blog & you're free to say what you wish, but your constant negativity is a huge turn-off. Have you ever had a co-worker who ALL they do 24/7 is complain...how long did it take before you started to avoid talking to them altogether?

James Thomas Shell said...

Please point me in that direction. I surely do want to see something positive and feel the positive vibe, because on the big picture stuff it is hard to see right now.

Those book club ladies that I saw at council the other night that I am going to write about, I know that is uplifting to people and substantive to the people involved. But, no one will remember when I write about thator the past Charles Kuralt type stuff that I have written about.

I just want to see good economics and good morals and I want to see people helping out the whole city and I want to see leadership that I can look up to and admire and that I can get behind and fight the good fight with. That is all that I want. I just want something to work with.

Who is going to take a chance and step outside of the box and lead the way? I will be right there with them and help them every step of the way.