Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Sunday, February 7, 2010

When the Super Bowl is over, let's wake up

When I was a child I was a little hyperactive and I would be into everything. My mother worked and when the baby sitter was taking care of us, I could get lost very easily. I'd wander off and play with my GI Joes in the mud puddles and things such as that. That is how my passion for sports came to be. My grandmother figured out, when I was four years old, that I would sit still and be mesmerized watching football, basketball, or baseball and I wouldn't be into everything while the games were on.

I always had this passion and even participated in some sports until we moved to Conover when I was twelve years old, but that is another story. I still loved watching sports and I was obsessed with the statistics and the who's who of it all. Although my love of all things sports has waned over the years, I still love professional football. I watch several hours of football during the 26 weeks the seasons lasts.

Now that football season will be over tonight, I can turn my passion towards other pursuits. It is time to start sowing seeds that will reap tangible benefits. It is time to start laying the groundwork towards a better future. In these tumultuous times, we will reap what we sow and if we don't lay that foundation, then we will continue to be mired in this dust bowl.

Folks, I know that I have a great deal to do with my failures. I chased trivial pursuits and I was not intellectually nimble. In the age of exponential change that is upon us, you have to be able to adapt to circumstances quickly. We all need diversions from time to time to refresh our minds, but we cannot allow these diversions to consume our lives. I am awake now. I am alert.

I know that most of the people that have visited this website stand together with me in this consciousness; to that I say Thank God. We can't afford for people to remain as lost as they are. I see all of the dependency issues and other craziness that is ripping our society apart. This is the reality of so many people. All of the denial and lost potential contributes greatly to the hemorrhaging of our economy.

People have to change. They have to gain some perspective. I watched Mark Dice on YouTube where he is talking about people boycotting the Super Bowl. He is controversial, but he does make some valid points here; and listen to the studio sportsguy brainiac. When Mark Dice says, "turn the television off and read a book," the sportsguy arrogantly shouts "I disagree!!!" Does that not sound stupid. Listen to how the sportsguy lambasts reading a book. If the sportsguy says people do need to read, but you can take a 4 hour break and watch the Super Bowl, then that is acceptable.

Stupid has become the new smart. How many times do we hear the statement, "The less I know, the better off I am." Our society has been led towards ignorance and stupidity. The general population has been fed garbage on the TV until they aren't intellectually curious about anything. Anyone who questions the standard message or propaganda is looked upon with disfavor. Think about all of the cover-ups that have been exposed in the past. If those few people had not stepped out of their comfort zone and questioned the status-quo opinion, then we would have never found out the truth.

I don't think the Super Bowl is the problem. Last year (2009) 98.7 million people watched the Super Bowl. In a nation of 300 million+ people, that means that only 1 out of 3 people watched the game. In 2008, nearly 120 million people voted in the Presidential election. That shows you that a great many people in this country aren't going to care, no matter what the subject matter is. To me, ambivalence seems more of an issue in this nation than distractions. You can't really pinpoint any cultural issues that the majority of Americans are interested in. The only general interest seems to be disinterest. People just don't seem to care about anything.

To finish this commentary, I would hope that you understand that we, the caring, are going to have to pick up the slack for the general population. In doing so, we have to be bold and let the truth out, even when we know the message won't be popular. Do not be afraid to be condemned. This is not a popularity contest. If your convictions are from the heart, then in the end you will be justly rewarded. The truth will set you free.

Let's wake up and wake some people up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just a note....i rememer things very differently. as a child you had no interest. after kindergarten at corinth and 1st grade at st stephens they said you had no interest in school. after the first grade to continue and not be held back we went to summer school. there was a very influential teacher from the second grade who took a very strong interest in you.she was the football coaches wife from st stepens and a very great teacher. i see her as a real beginning in your life. she said if you were going to progress that we had to bring a copy of sports illustrated and the hickory daily record to your class. we did that and you began to read and progressed that summer into a real reader and an avid learener of current events. we nerver let you ever not take part in redskin football, nc state basketball (david thompson, tommy burleson and others) they shaped your opinions today. i believe in your cause and will help any way i can to make your dreams in the future to happen.....but believe you had some real help in becoming the strong person you are today with beliefs that we can build on a strong future. whether you velieve it or not i did try to give you a good foundation. we nerver missed a nc football game or i never missed one of your baseball games. i just want you to know that i want you to go forward with your ideas about this economy and the forward ideas for this area. i do believe in what you have to say and think it will eventually help this area to move ahead......ppc

James Thomas Shell said...

Thank You Mama for your input, but I was watching football way before 2nd grade. I did like Mrs. Tallman and Mr. Fuller was cool and Mrs. Eisenhower was beautiful, but yes I hated school. I didn't want to be there. Everyday felt like punishment and I hadn't done anything to deserve to be punished. I felt imprisoned.

Just a note... tell'em how I didn't do my little Jack and Jill ran up the hill junk in first grade and they were hot to trot to hold me back until I did the whole book the last week of school - bwahahaha!!! And there is the truth of it.

I didn't have people who could focus my attention. How many people meet a deadline until they have to, especially over something so boring and when they don't have assistance? That was the only problem. You see what you are saying in your excerpt, is that I wasn't interested until someone came along with brains enough to figure out how to engage me. And yes, I did become a decent reader by reading about sports. What else was I supposed to read at seven years old? Do you sit around reading Jack and Jill these days?

I also taught myself by reading encyclopedia's. I certainly didn't learn much from the teachers in the New-Con school system, except for Mr. Willard and Mr. Hewins, Heck, I don't think they even wanted to be there.

I remember watching the Redskins vs Miami in SuperBowl VII, when I was 6. I remember watching the Wolfpack beat Maryland in 1973 to win the ACC championship, again I was 6 -- that would be 1st grade. They were 27-0, but couldn't play in the NCAA championship, because they were put on probation for stupid reasons. Mammaw used to sit me in front of the TV to watch sports and y'all loved me being a Wolfpack fan didn't you? -- hahaha.
Mammaw was the only person in my life that supported me loving all things NC State.

But, I've lost a lot of interest in all sports as I've watched the country go downhill, sports governance be so arbitrary and political and the whole thing become more and more of a money racket and more about entertainment than competition.

Never understood your obsession with me not liking school. It wasn't because of you. I just didn't like school. I understand the necessity of education, but there were other things that I would rather have been doing. Besides primary education isn't about education, its about indoctrination. I didn't get two college degrees from being stupid, so doesn't that show that those initial years were irrelevant?

I think I had a great imagination as a child and I think I was surrounded by people who had no imagination. It wasn't their fault that they had no imagination. It is the environment that they came from.

I believe we see a lot of issues in our culture today that hit that nail on the head. You can't shove people through a meat grinder when the square peg doesn't fit into the round hole. Most of the propaganda we were taught between 1972 and 1984 is no longer relevant to the world we live in today. What if we had computers at our disposal then?

And my final input on the subject for those who read this. Education is a lifelong process. The older I have gotten and the more my brain has matured, the more I have learned. What do you learn by watching endless hours of soap operas, endless sports, and reality TV. You better start engaging your mind in what is happening with our government by studying the real issues we face as a nation or we are all going to be royally "you know what!!!"