Google Groups
Join To Get Blog Update Notices
Email:
Visit the Hickory Hound Group

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Ulysses Long - America's Got Talent - My extended family

I call him Ulysses S. Long - U.S. Long. He was the entertainer at my Aunt's restaurant on weekends, mainly Saturday Evenings, until she closed last August. Ulysses sang "How Great Thou Art" at my Uncle Alex Moore's and my Grandmother Martha Shell's funerals. He has been like an extended member of my family since around 1987 when he began playing regularly at 1859 Cafe.

Ulysses lives in Statesville, but has been a big part of the Hickory music scene. I think this community should fully embrace Ulysses and his talent in this quest to make a name for himself on the national scene. Ulysses is amazing with the amount of material that he has memorized and that memorization does not come across as being mechanical. Ask him a pop or religious song and he probably knows it. He sang "On The Road Again" at my Uncle's funeral in his honor, because Alex loved Willie Nelson.

I know that his hobby is collecting old television programs and other events that have cultural significance. He loves old Ed Sullivan shows. I think that is where the whole Love Boat theme came from. He has an archive of old shows that a lot of people would envy and he can talk to you about specific episodes of old shows. He also can tell you all kinds of rare facts about music. If Ulysses is given a chance to succeed he will surprise these pop culture icons and you will find out how amazing someone from our community truly is.

Stuff like this makes life worth it. It puts life in perspective. It shows that we all have got a chance to do great things if we put ourselves forward. Thank You Ulysses... I needed the inspiration. We all could use a little inspiration!

I have created a Facebook Fan Club Page for Ulysses - please feel free to join and show your support.


Ulysses on America's Got Talent




Ulysses performing Rollin on a River at 1859 Cafe




Ulysses sings How Great Thou Art at my Grandmother's Funeral




No comments: